MLK & Black History Month
- Mr.Donn.Org-Resources for Martin Luther King Jr Day: Grades 3-High School - Includes resource links for background information, bulletin board ideas, worksheets and printables, a selection of lesson plans ranging from 3 grade through 12th, and mini units for 3 and 4th grade.
MLK Jr. Research & Education Institute at Standford - Speeches, sermons, letters, historic documents, and lesson plans focused on High School students.
- MLK Jr.:Read, Write, and Think Lessons - This site from the International reading Association has MLK JR lesson plans for all grade spans with a strong emphasis on ELA and History.
- The Smithsonian: Black History Month - Each year, the Smithsonian honors Black History Month with a calendar full of events. Explore a selection of resources and activities relating to African Americans.
- American History Explorer: Our Story - This site from the Smithsonian provides numerous activities and resources that can be searched by grade level or by historical ERA.
- The Library of Congress: African American History Month - This guide presents the Library's resources, as well as links to external Web sites on African American History.
- eThemes: Black History - These sites are about Black History Month. Learn about the contributions of African Americans in different fields. Includes quizzes, an interactive timeline, and other activities. There are links to eThemes Resources on the Negro baseball league, famous African Americans, the Emancipation Proclamation, the slave trade, and the Missouri Compromise. Some of these sites require a subscription.
- The History Channel: Black History Month - Explore an interactive timeline of milestones throughout slavery and the civil rights movement. Try the History games too.
- Teaching History.org - This comprehensive list of resources comes from the National Clearinghouse on History Education.
- The MLK Jr National Memorial - It has a great video of what the monument looks like and a history of the man, memorial, and movement,.
- The Biography Channel: Black History - Take a crash course in black history. Check out the interactive timeline and test your knowledge in the games.
- NickJr-Black History Month- Lots of great activities and resources for kids but you have to tolerate the commercials here and there.