Serving the homeless students in all public school districts and charter schools throughout Wayne County (Detroit included), the Wayne RESA Homeless Education Program ensures that all students are provided with seamless educational services regardless of their current housing situation.
Students eligible for support are those who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence and may include:
- those living on the street, in a car, in an abandon building, etc.
- those living in shelters and transitional housing programs.those living in campgrounds, motels and hotels.
- those who are doubled up with family or friends due to loss of housing.
- those who have run away or otherwise are not accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Students in the above living situations may attend school where they attended prior to loosing their housing with transportation provided, or they may immediately enroll in the district where they are temporarily staying (even if they lack enrollment documents such as birth certificates, immunizations, and proof of residency).
The Wayne RESA Homeless Education Program works with local homeless liaisons in each district to assist with enrollment and transportation arrangements. The Wayne RESA Homeless Education Program also provides trainings for local liaisons, school staff, shelter staff, and the community on the McKinney Vento Homeless Assistance Act.
For more information on this topic, visit the Michigan Department of Education's website. To locate a school/district's Homeless Liaison, please visit the Center for Educational Performance and Information website.
Julie (Davis) Ratekin
Homeless Youth Education Specialist, Wayne Metropolitan Community Action Agency
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email)
- 734.494.2018 (cell)
- 313.463.7056 (office)
- 734.955.6754 (fax)
State Coordinator for Homeless Education, State of Michigan
- email@example.com (email)
- 517.241.1162 (phone)