Student Eligibility and Referral Information
WHO IS AN ENGLISH LEARNER (EL)?
A child must meet ONE of the following conditions to be considered an English Learner:
- Born in a non-English speaking country outside of the United States
- Have a native language other than English;
- Come from a home in which a language other than English is spoken;
- Be a Native American or Alaskan Native who comes from an environment in which a language other than English has had a significant impact on the child’s level of English proficiency.
- Secondly, the child must have sufficient difficulty understanding, speaking, reading or writing English.
Entrance and exit criteria is set my MDE Special Population Unit for Michigan students. Wayne County Consortia follows the established and approved protocol.