Unit 6 - Equations and Stoichiometry
Endothermic and Exothermic Reactions (C3.4A)
- Use the terms endothermic and exothermic correctly to describe chemical reactions in the laboratory.
* Chemical Refrigerator - An Endo Demo - Welcome to the eighth issue of Teacher Connection, a free online monthly newsletter to provide teachers with effective teaching techniques and helpful ideas and tools for explaining chemistry and mathematics concepts to students of all levels.
* Cooking with Sugar - An Exo Demo - Welcome to the tenth issue of Teacher Connection, a free online monthly newsletter to provide teachers with effective teaching techniques and helpful ideas and tools for explaining chemistry and mathematics concepts to students of all levels.
* Endo/Exo Matrix Activity
Endo/Exo Matrix Activity
* Chemical Energy Notes
Enthalpy and Entropy (C3.4c)
- Write chemical equations including the heat term as a part of equation or using ?H notation.
Chemical Changes (C5.2A-B)
- Balance simple chemical equations applying the conservation of matter.
- Distinguish between chemical and physical changes in terms of the properties of the reactants and products.
* Demo for Balancing Equations - Queen's University Science Education Resource page.
* Bingo Chip Balancing Activity
Bingo Chip Balancing Practice 1
Bingo Chip Balancing Practice 2
* Balancing Equations WS
Balancing WS 1
Balancing WS 2
* Balancing Equations Worksheet Race - Mister Guch suggests spicing up your practice time with a little race!
* Review Balance Equation Game - Review Chembalancer at Funbased Learning!
* Evidence of a Chemical Reaction Demo
* Evidence of a Chemical Reaction Demonstration Video - Evidence of a Chemical Change in an actual classroom experiment.
* Chemical and Physical Properties Demo - Queen's University Science Education Resource Page
* Physical and Chemical Properties of Common Elements Lab - Queens University Science Education Resource Page
* Chemical or Physical Change Lab
* Chemical Reaction Type Lab
Chemical Reaction Type Lab
* Pop Rock Lab
* Physical v Chemical Change Online Quiz
* Hydrogen Bomb Demonstration Video
Balancing Equations (C5.2d-f)
- Calculate the mass of a particular compound formed from the masses of starting materials.
- Identify the limiting reagent when given the masses of more than one reactant.
- Predict volumes of product gases using initial volumes of gases at the same temperature and pressure.
* Limiting Reactant Demo - A simple baking soda and vinegar limiting reactant demo found at Queen's University Science Education Resource page.
* Limiting Reactant Lab
* Limiting Reactant Cookie Activity
Limiting Reactant Cookie Activity
* Limiting Reactant WS
* Limiting Reactant Notes
* Smores Lab-Limiting Reactant
* Stoichiometry Notes
* Percent Yield Lab
* Stoichiometry WS
* Stoichiometry Calculator - The Pyrotechnic Stoichiometry Calculator allows you to calculate the optimum fuel-to-oxidiser ratios for a variety of pyrotechnic mixtures. The calculator is intended as a tool for educators and hobbyists, and allows for many of the classic demonstration experiments, incluing the thermite reaction, and the chlorate-sugar reaction.
* Calculating the Molar Volume of Carbon Dioxide - An experiment written by Judith A. Douville and Phillip R. Douville at Central Connecticut State University.
* STP Calculator - Allow students to input values for volume, temperature and pressure to see the relationship at STP
* Turtle Island Game Pieces (Dimensional Analysis Practice)