Wayne RESA Chartered PSAs
Wayne RESA authorizes two public school academies that are unique in mission and focus and are committed to offering high quality, diverse educational alternatives to meet the needs of the students they serve. The Office of Public School Academies is responsible for oversight of the two schools authorized by Wayne RESA. Oversight includes two primary functions:
- To ensure compliance with all federal, state and local laws that apply to PSAs
- To support and guide PSAs towards sound educational, operational and governance practices
In addition to the oversight of PSAs authorized by RESA, the Public School Academies Office also serves as a liaison for all 111 Public School Academies in Wayne County, helping to identify systems of support and services as well as information and communication on educational trends, legislative updates, reporting requirements and other general information.
A PSA is a public institution, eligible to receive public funds once authorized by an authorizing body.
There are four institutional entities in Michigan that may authorize a charter:
- Any one of the15 state universities
- All community colleges
- All educational service agencies or intermediate school districts and
- All local school districts
- Any individual or group may apply to these institutions to operate a PSA.
For further information on Michigan's Public School Academy, please visit Michigan's Charter Public Schools page.